This Haida Drop-In Neutral Density and Circular Polarizer Filter combines a solid neutral density effect with a circular polarizer effect. It is mounted within a drop-in assembly that is made specifically to fit between a separately available Haida M10 Filter Holder and an adapter ring for the filter holder. The geared filter ring assembly’s external dial allows for the independent rotation of the circular polarizer filter to adjust the intensity of its effect.
Its density creates a darkening of the entire image, allowing you to photograph with a wider aperture or slower shutter speed than normally required. By slowing your exposure time or increasing your aperture, you can control the depth-of-field and convey movement more easily. Simultaneously, this filter can help to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges and filters this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polarizer only differs from a linear polarizer in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarizing filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize the linearly polarized light for the use of autofocus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, autofocus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
This filter is constructed from optical glass for clarity and color fidelity. To prevent internal ghosting and reflections, each glass surface includes 10 layers of anti-reflection coatings, which also offer greater protection to the filter substrate and help keep it clean for a longer period of time. The Nano coating associated with this Haida Drop-In Neutral Density Filter provides an additional layer that results in an improved beading effect when the surface comes in contact with water or oil, allowing for more efficient cleaning.
- Drop-in neutral density and circular polarizer filter that is compatible with separately available Haida M10 filter holder
- Polarizing filter effect arranges and filters directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors
- Strongest polarization effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun
- Circular polarizer effect is ideal for use with digital cameras and autofocus lenses where a linear polarizer will often disrupt auto exposure and focus features
- Constructed from optical glass for clarity as well as color fidelity
- 10 layers of anti-reflection coatings on each glass surface as well as a Nano-coating that results in an improved beading effect when the surface comes in contact with water or oil, allowing for more efficient cleaning
- External dial on the filter ring assembly allows for the independent rotation of the filter for adjustment of its polarization effect when it is used with the Haida M10 Filter Holder
- Plastic filter case for storage and transport